Re: tramp

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: tramp
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2002 11:23:47 +0200

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> Is tramp in the current emacs CVS (2002-08-02) supposed to work?
>
> I've tried a bunch of different filenames, and invariably tramp gets
> confused and just hangs waiting for a prompt or something.  When I use
> ^G to interrupt it, and look at the `*tramp...*' buffer, I see a shell
> prompt (but apparently tramp never realized it).

Yes, I think so.

> For instance, visiting:
>
> `/sudo:address@hidden:/etc':
>
>    Shows the following messages:
>
>       tramp: Opening connection for `root' using `sudo'...
>       tramp: Processing actions
>       tramp: Waiting 60s for prompt from remote shell
>       tramp: Looking for pattern ^.*\([pP]assword\|passphrase.*\):
>       tramp: Looking for pattern .*ogin: *
>       tramp: Looking for pattern ^\(([^)      ]*)\|[^>        ]*[>]\)\s-*

This looks like your shell-prompt-pattern.  Is it?

>       tramp: Found remote shell prompt.
>       tramp: Waiting 30s for remote `/bin/sh' to come up...
>       Quit
>
>   [Seeing `Found remote shell prompt' immediately followed by
>    `Waiting 30s for remote `/bin/sh' to come up' seems ... odd.]

Heh :-)  First, Tramp logs in to the remote system and waits for any
old shell prompt.  But for proper operation, Tramp needs a Bourneish
shell, so it issues "exec /bin/sh" first thing.  Of course, after
this Tramp again has to wait for a shell prompt...

Maybe I should make this clearer in the messages.  But how?

>   Looking in the `*tramp/sudo address@hidden' buffer, I see:
>
>      sh-2.05b#

At this point, Tramp is again waiting for shell-prompt-pattern, and
this shell prompt does not match the regexp above.

Could this be the case?

It used to be that Tramp tried to grok some common shell prompts in
addition to shell-prompt-pattern.  Maybe I should re-add this feature.

>       tramp: Looking for pattern Are you sure you want to continue connecting
> (yes/no)\? *
>       Quit
>
>    [Note that even though the above appears as if it's asking a user
>     question, it doesn't seem to accept any input; I have to interrupt
>     it to do anything]

Hm.  Maybe this "looking for pattern" stuff should be removed from
the default debugging messages.

>    Looking in the `*tramp/su address@hidden' buffer, I see:
>

>       mcspd15:~#
>
>    [that's a blank line at the beginning].

Looks like the same shell prompt problem.

kai