Re: Proposal: Bind backspace and delete like DEL in view-mode

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Proposal: Bind backspace and delete like DEL in view-mode
Date: 29 Dec 2001 13:54:46 +0900

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:
> What about adding the following function:
>
> (defun bind-key (keys command &optional map)
>    "Bind KEYS to COMMAND in MAP. Use global-map if MAP is omitted or nil.

I think it's a bad idea to add functions like this that are essentially
the same as an existing function (in this case, `global-set-key'), but
with subtle differences in the interpretation of the arguments --
_especially_ when (1) the function is one that you expect novices to
use, and (2) the function that you're attempting to replace has been
_very_ widely used, for a long time.

I think the result of doing this would just be _more_ confusion.

-Miles
--
I'd rather be consing.