Re: Policy on updating info/ directory?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Policy on updating info/ directory?
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 12:25:20 +0200

> From: address@hidden (Pavel =?iso-8859-2?q?Jan=EDk?=)
> Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 10:00:37 +0100
>
>    > Note that we supply the DIR file in the distribution, so any changes
>    > in @direntry don't have any visible effect on what the users see.  So
>    > there's no real need to update anything after such a change.
>
> This is not true. Many distributors of GNU Emacs do not use info/dir

At least "make install" copies info/dir into the destination
directory.  I don't see how can we control what various distributors
do.

In any case, the Info files are always regenerated when the Emacs
distribution is tarred, so any changes you make in @direntry _will_
be reflected in the produced Info files.  So where do you see the
problem, exactly?