String syntax ambiguity

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: String syntax ambiguity
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 21:57:58 -0700 (MST)

On rereading a bug report Dave Love sent a couple of weeks ago, I
figured out that "^\341-\377" (a unibyte string) and
(string-as-multibyte "^\341-\377") (a multibyte string) have the same
printed representation.  I suspect that this ambiguity results from
the changes that were made to allow the codes \200 to \377 to appear
in multibyte strings.

This is not a good situation--we should fix it.  But I don't see
any obvious way to differentiate the syntax for the two cases.

Does anyone have any suggestions?