Re: Proposal: Bind backspace and delete like DEL in view-mode

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Proposal: Bind backspace and delete like DEL in view-mode
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 22:14:09 +0100

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> I don't know, but maybe it would make more sense to put those
> mappings into something similar to the keyboard-translate-table
> which is done FIRST rather than "MAYBE LATER".

I'm not sure what to do here.  What about people who want C-i and
<tab> to be different?  If you unconditionally convert <tab> into TAB
(which is the same as C-i), then you lose that feature.

Right now, people can bind (kbd "TAB") or (kbd "<tab>"), as they like.

But let's talk specifically about DEL.  It really seems that it's not
so easy to rebind DEL: newbies are wont to do something wrong there,
as many newbies come from the PC world where they think of the keys
<backspace> and <delete>, and DEL being (more or less) the same as
<backspace> is surely a surprise to them.

For this case, it might be useful to set things up the other way
round: do

(define-key function-key-map (kbd "<backspace>") nil)
(define-key function-key-map (kbd "DEL") (kbd "<backspace>"))

and then bind (kbd "<backspace>") rather than (kbd "DEL") in all mode
maps.  What do people think about this?

kai
--
Simplification good!  Oversimplification bad!  (Larry Wall)