Re: df is called even if dired-free-space-program is nil ...

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: df is called even if dired-free-space-program is nil ...
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 18:35:49 +0200

> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 14:18:00 -0700 (MST)
>
> I thought someone had agreed to clean this mess up, a couple
> of months ago--but apparently it was never done.  I did it now.
> Now the only place this is done is in insert-directory.

I believe you meant this change:

> + 2001-12-18  Richard M. Stallman  <address@hidden>
> +
> +     * files.el (directory-free-space-program): New variable.
> +     (directory-free-space-args): New variable.
> +     (insert-directory): Use those two variables for getting free space.
> +     Use file-system-info instead, if that is defined.
> +
> +     * dired.el (dired-free-space-program): Variable deleted.
> +     (dired-free-space-args): Variable deleted.
> +     (dired-insert-directory): Don't try to determine free space.
> +
> +     * files.el (font-lock-defaults): Add risky-local-variables prop.
> +     (hack-one-local-variable): Treat various font-lock variables as risky.
> +

This change breaks Dired on DOS and Windows.  These platforms don't
use insert-directory from files.el, but instead use its replacement
from ls-lisp.el.  dired-insert-directory is common to both Posix and
non-Posix platforms, that's why `df' (or file-system-info) was called
there, not in files.el.

If you want to leave the things as they are now, I think we should add
some code in ls-lisp.el to make its version of insert-directory do
similar things.

> + ** The variables dired-free-space-program and dired-free-space-args
> + have been renamed to directory-free-space-program and
> + directory-free-space-args, and they now apply whenever Emacs puts a
> + directory listing into a buffer.

Is it a good idea to leave a defvaralias in dired.el, for back
compatibility?