Re: changes to emacs for ibuffer.el installation

From: Colin Walters
Subject: Re: changes to emacs for ibuffer.el installation
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 12:34:57 -0500

> The name "ibuffer" is not particularly indicative of anything.  If
> this package is going to be standard, I think it should be renamed
> to something more meaningful--perhaps "buff-menu".

Yeah, I started to think about that while working on the manual.
However, if we just called it buff-menu.el, then people might
reasonably expect that it would just be additions to the old
buff-menu.el; i.e. they would expect that all their hooks and
customizations worked in the same way, that it would have the same
keybindings, etc.  The keybindings are a major problem, I think.

I'm really not sure what the best approach to this is.  Ok.  I have
one idea.  How about we keep the old buff-menu.el, leave the default
'C-x C-b' keybinding pointing to it, but install ibuffer.el under its
current name, and every time `list-buffers' or `buffer-menu' is
invoked, warn the user that it is obsolete and will be replaced in the
next version of Emacs?

I do have some ideas for making the keybindings more compatible.  If
that can be done, then perhaps simply rewriting ibuffer.el as a new
version of buff-menu.el will work.