Re: auto-saving and jka-compr-write-region

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: auto-saving and jka-compr-write-region
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2001 20:02:42 -0700 (MST)

    Doing auto-saves locally helps a lot with the speed, so I presume
    you're happy with me trying that.

Yes, and that's also why the auto-save file should not be compressed.

    Do you have some suggestion what I should do about the ".gz" suffix
    on the filename?

Either remove the suffix, or do something else so that the file is
auto-saved without compressing it.

      I think that maybe just removing the suffix is not
    such a good idea since people might wish to edit both the file
    /address@hidden/tmp/foo and the file /address@hidden/tmp/foo.gz in
    the same Emacs session.  Removing the suffix would mean that one
    auto-save file overwrites the other one.

That is not as bad a problem as compressing during every auto-save.
Besides, you can find some other way to uniquify the auto-save file
names.