Re: i18n/gettext?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: i18n/gettext?
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 17:20:12 -0700 (MST)

    may I ask you to lend us your hands?  Can you tell us how to start to
    add native language support to Emacs?

Someone once wrote a patch for this.  The reason I did not install it
was that it required calling a function to select a language.  That
should be controlled by a variable that can be set, bound, and maybe
even customized.  Emacs should check this variable when it wants to
translate a string, and call the C function to select a language
automatically whenever the current language is not the same as it was
last time.

At the time I was too overloaded to make those changes and had no one
else to ask.  Now, more people are working on emacs, so perhaps now it
can get done.