Re: Emacs and GTK.

From: William M. Perry
Subject: Re: Emacs and GTK.
Date: 03 Dec 2001 09:56:48 -0500

>     I haven't looked at XEmacs, but I understand they have some GTK support.
>       Is it OK to look what they have done?
>
> It is ok to look and get some general ideas, but then you have to make
> sure your code doesn't look anything like their code in its details.  I
> believe their redisplay code is totally different, so it might not be
> worth looking.  I suggest you see what you can do without looking.

I did the GTK work for XEmacs, and the redisplay is so totally different
that I don't think it would be worthwhile to look at it.  The GTK work is
scattered thru the device-gtk.c, frame-gtk.c, and redisplay-gtk.c systems,
and they all use the semi-object-model that XEmacs uses internally.

Just using GDK primitives is pretty simple - doing the scrollbars and
toolbar as native GTK widgets will be slightly more difficult, depending on
what assumptions were made in the Emacs code about who manages the screen
real-estate associated with them.

If anybody has questions about the GTK work done in XEmacs, feel free to
drop me a line.  I am not sure if I'll have time to work on it
immediately, but I'll try to respond to any emails about it as quickly as
I can.

-bp
--
Ceterum censeo vi esse delendam