Re: Emacs/W3 needs DEVELOPERS...

From: Per Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Emacs/W3 needs DEVELOPERS...
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 14:51:24 +0100

>     Basically, Emacs/W3 does _nothing_ special about variable-width text.  It
>     uses the face properties, so they display nicely, but I just use the
>     center-region and fill-paragraph functions, which currently don't do
>     anything smart about buffers that have variable-width fonts.
>
> Yes, that is an important area to work on.  Would people please turn
> their attention to this area?  It is far more important than most of
> the changes people have been working on (aside from the bug fixes).

Apropos...  Customize (and widget) tries to format forms for fixed
width fonts, but this formatting is invaliadated width the changes
made in Emacs 21.  For example,

     M-x customize-option <ret> custom-guess-name-alist <ret>

gives you this:

        Custom Guess Name Alist: Hide
        INS DEL Match: -p\'
                    Type: boolean
        INS DEL Match: -hook\'
                    Type: hook
        INS DEL Match: -face\'
                    Type: face
        INS DEL Match: -file\'
                    Type: file
        INS DEL Match: -function\'
                    Type: function
        INS DEL Match: -functions\'
                    Type: (repeat function)
        INS DEL Match: -list\'
                    Type: (repeat sexp)
        INS DEL Match: -alist\'
                    Type: (repeat
         (cons sexp sexp))
        INS
           State: this option is unchanged from its standard setting.
        Alist of (MATCH TYPE). Hide

In Emacs 20, the buttons were named [INS] and [DEL], causing the
"Type:" tag to be alligned under the "Match:" tag.  This is still the
case under Emacs 21 "-nw".

However, under X11 INS and DEL are displayed with the slightly wider
button face property, and without the [], making fixed font formatting
not work.