Re: Cygwin Emacs (was: Re: Emacs 21 on AIX 4.3)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Cygwin Emacs (was: Re: Emacs 21 on AIX 4.3)
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 19:56:55 +0300

> From: Per Abrahamsen <address@hidden>
> Date: 27 Jun 2001 17:25:15 +0200
>
> I thinkany Cygwin port should be targeted to Cygwin users, not to
> plain MS Windows users.

I don't see any contradiction between these two goals (with which I
agree).

Not only is this possible, but the DJGPP (a.k.a. MS-DOS) port of Emacs
and the other GNU tools shows that it's doable, and how to do it, in
general.

> That is, the Cygwin port should be as close to the Unix version as
> possible.

I don't think NTEmacs is farther from the Unix version than the Cygwin
port will be.  I wasn't advocating to give up Unix functionality; I
think that would be a mistake.  I was suggesting to retain the
Unix-like features but have native Windows support as well.

> There is already a MS Windows port for those who want to use an
> Emacs that feels like an MS Windows application.

I think the Windows port of Emacs should be able to compile with free
tools.  It doesn't feel right that the flagship of Free Software and
the GNU Project needs a proprietary compiler to be built.  The MinGW
build is the step in the right direction, and the Cygwin build is the
logical next step.  I'm sure that if doing so would not be so hard,
Andrew and Jason would have done that already.