Re: [emacs-bidi] Hebrew and Yiddish input methods ready

From: Scot Becker
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Hebrew and Yiddish input methods ready
Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 23:25:57 +0100

Yair,

I took 'hebrew-Biblical-Sil' for a spin.  Here are a few ideas:

1.  Perhaps it would be nice to include a brief summary of the mapping
along with the charts in the help file.  Something like this, which
would be enough to give the logic of the mapping:

-----------------
Most letter positions, including vowels, are based on phonetic
similarity to English.
Long vowels are generally specified with SHIFT.
Final forms are specified by using SHIFT + letter.
Dagesh is found on the equals '=' key.
Hataf segol, qamats and patah are on `E  `O   `A
[then after that the gritty details]
-----------------

Part of the reason for that is that you can look at a monospace
keyboard chart for a long time before you figure out where that dagesh
is! Likewise with the hateph vowels.

2. I see that the standard input methods are all lower cased.  For
consistency, perhaps these should be the same?

hebrew-biblical-sil
hebrew-biblical-tiro

If you keep them capitalized, it's better to do 'SIL', rather than
'Sil', since it's an acronym for an organization (Summer Institute of
Linguistics).

I found no problems with the mapping itself.

Thanks.

Scot