[emacs-bidi] lisp hack: visual-2-logical and back leaving ASCII out

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: [emacs-bidi] lisp hack: visual-2-logical and back leaving ASCII out
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 18:31:36 +0000

Sorry

I hope thintendede last time, but I again noticed, that a mail
indented for the whole list was, sent via reply, to a single user.
Hope this is fixed

Eli Zaretskii writes:

 > On Tue, 6 Nov 2001, Uwe Brauer wrote:
 >
 > >  > It's not a typo: you _did_ mean visual to logical, not the other way
 > >  > around, yes?
 > >

 > > Hm may be I did not understand the concept of logical and visual
 > > (versus reversed visual?).
 > >
 > > I attach a latex file, consisting of three parts:
 > > part 1. Latex commands
 > > A with logical Hebrew. (capital letter indicating iso-8859-8 char, _
 > >   whitespace)
 > > SHALOM_RAV__
 > > B visual Hebrew
 > > VAR_MOLAHS_____
 > >

 > > part 2. I apply the converter which gives
 > > __VAR_MOLAHS
 > > _____SHALOM_RAV
 > >
 > > Part 3 I apply the converter _again_ which gives part 1.
 >
 > Which one of these is Steve's code?  Or are you saying that all the
 > conversions are done by the same code?

All of this is done by the _SAME_ function!

As far as authorship is concerned the core of the code is based on
some ancient pseudo visual lisp Hebrew (the cursor sits idle and spits
out the characters in visual order) implementation written by
Copyright (C) 1993 Alexander Rezinsky <address@hidden>
(I tried to contact him, without success):

He had a function for reverting all chars in the buffer (this was
before Mule was known widely).  I tried to modify his function, such
that ASCII char are excluded but did not succeed, I asked for help
and Stephen wrote this extension.

So if my example does what you want, then there is no need for anybody
to re invent the wheel.

Uwe Brauer