elisp-code-efs

[Elisp-code-efs] Re: EFS 1.23 bug: EFS, lukemftp and hosts that don't su

From: Michael Sperber
Subject: [Elisp-code-efs] Re: EFS 1.23 bug: EFS, lukemftp and hosts that don't support extended modes
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 18:08:25 +0100

>>>>> "Joachim" == Joachim Schrod <address@hidden> writes:

Joachim> Fellow efs'ers:
Joachim> Mike Sperber wanted this problem report. ;-)

Indeed.  Sorry it took me a little longer to research the issue.

Joachim> This issue prevents package index updates from some XEmacs mirrors.

Joachim> (file-exists-p
"/ftp.ca.xemacs.org:/pub/Mirror/xemacs/packages/package-index.LATEST.gpg")
Joachim> returns nil. This file exists.

Joachim> The following warning is output:
Joachim> (1) (error/warning) Error in process filter: (ftp-error FTP Error: DIR
failed: 500 Unknown command.)

Joachim> My ftp client is lukemftp, version 1.5.

Ah.  This is a mess.  The interaction with lukemftp looks like this:

ftp> ls
500 Unknown command.
227 Entering Passive Mode (129,128,5,190,169,64)

I dare say that "Unknown command" confuses not just EFS, but also
human users: since lukemftp issues a command secretly, it should also
eat the response.  I have no idea how to work around this, since 500
may be a genuine error in a circumstance like this.  (The
Heimdal ftp client attempts extended passive, too, but discards the
500 response, and thus works fine with EFS.)

Hi Luke, maybe this can be fixed in lukemftp?

--
Cheers =8-} Mike