eev

Re: What are "logs" for me?

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: What are "logs" for me?
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2023 09:32:56 +0300

* Eduardo Ochs <eduardoochs@gmail.com> [2023-01-08 03:56]:
> Hi Jean,
>
> This is a partial answer to:
>
>   https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/eev/2023-01/msg00012.html
>
> There you said:
>
> > I have feeling that you may thinkg of "logs" as something else then
> > what I think.
> >
> > My logs look similarly like this:
> > (...)
>
> My logs are in many places - a part in my ~/TODO, a part in my main
> Org file, and parts in places that are "more specific". For example,
> in the last few three days I worked mainly on revising an article - my
> notes on that are not public - and on these things, that are public:

I read here, above, and below this line, but I did not get what is
your "log".

- Is it something you write by hand?  In thise case you use the word
  "log" for notes of what you have done, which is definitely log, but
  not as what I would expect in computing context, rather in sailing
  subject, simmilarly like ship logbook.

- Is it automatically recorded? If yes, then it is something in
  computing context.

My idea is that what you evaluate or execute should be logged, as that
is what is going on here, some functions I simply subscribe to be
logged.

Like this one:

(defun msmtp-count-remaining ()
  "Count and send any remaining MSMTP messages in the queue"
  (interactive)
  (let ((default-directory (rcd-my-home))
        (msmtp-runqueue (executable-find "msmtp-runqueue.sh")))
        ;; HERE BELOW IS THE LOGGING subscription
    (rcd-general-log "Function `msmtp-count-remaining' invoked" nil 1 nil nil
nil 6)
    (let ((count (length (directory-files "~/.msmtpqueue" nil "\\.mail"))))
      (if (> count 0)
          (progn
            (start-process msmtp-runqueue "RCD MSMTP" msmtp-runqueue)
            (rcd-message "MSMTP: There is %s e-mails in queue." count))
        (rcd-message "MSMTP: No emails.")))))

Then I can analyze later how many times I manually invoke sending
e-mails to SMTP and make periodic function by using the log.

So, is your log hand written note?

Another idea to log what was evaluated at any point of time is:

- to provide function to recognize regexp behind the point similarly
  like M-e

- to capture full sexp, and log date, time and sexp

- to execute sexp

That is how I see that evaluation of functions would be logged.

You will tell me what you mean with log.

>From below, I could not understand what is "log".

>   1. The six videos of the workshop about saving links were nearly
>      unusable without subtitles. Now that they have subtitles I'm
>      trying to make their subtitle files easier to read by people who
>      don't want to watch the videos, and I've restructured
>      (find-saving-links-intro) a few times, but many more
>      restructurings and rewritings are still needed. I also added a
>      few more features to Subtitles.lua. Links:
>
>        (find-saving-links-intro)
>        (find-angg "LUA/Subtitles.lua")
>        (find-1stclassvideolsubs "2021workshop1")
>        (find-1stclassvideolsubs "2021workshop2")
>        (find-1stclassvideolsubs "2021workshop3")
>        (find-1stclassvideolsubs "2021workshop4")
>        (find-1stclassvideolsubs "2021workshop5")
>        (find-1stclassvideolsubs "2021workshop6")
>
>   2. Right now my htmlizer doesn't have a good way to convert an id
>      for a video, like "2021workshop1", to its corresponding
>      "mp4stem", that in this case is "2021-workshop-1". The best way
>      to make that conversion is to have Lua functions that parse the
>      list of first-class videos.

You can as well parse it with Emacs Lisp.

>      I _almost_ have a parser in Lua that can parse that, but it
>      uses "pure LPeg" and its grammar is bigger than it should. It
>      seems that the right way to go would be to use lpegrex, so I
>      went back to my notes about lpegrex - I started studying it in
>      march/2022 - and I'm trying to decypher more of its examples,
>      and write more tests. I also enhanced my quickref for lpeg a
>      bit. Links:
>
>        (find-eev "eev-videolinks.el" "ee-1stclassvideos-info")
>        (find-es "lpeg" "lpeg-quickref")
>        (find-es "lpeg" "lpegrex")
>        (find-es "lpeg" "lpegrex-json")
>        (find-angg "LUA/Lisp1.lua")
>        (find-angg "LUA/Lisp2.lua")
>
> The intro, the subtitle files, the files with "real" Lua code, and the
> notes on lpeg and its variants in (find-es "lpeg") are not logs in the
> usual sense, but are places into which I've been saving new hyperlinks
> and sometimes new pieces of text in English or new snippets of code.

I got it what is not logs, but I did not get what is log.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman