edu-eu

[edu-eu] master plan for Free Software and open standards in Geneva

From: Michael Kesper
Subject: [edu-eu] master plan for Free Software and open standards in Geneva
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 22:51:49 +0200

Hi,

In the edu-team of FSFE [0], we recently stumbled over a master plan for
Free Software and open standards in the canton of Geneva [1, french].

I've skimmed through the summary and some pages and it reads very positively!
You can see how often they highlight open standards and Free Software in the
summary [2]. :)

They "want to answer the necessity of participation and communication". (p.7)
They speak of the risks of privatisation of knowledge, DRM and proprietary
formats would cement the inegality of chances and would only enable the sch=
ool
to teach them to use products but not to master and evolve them. (p.13)
That's why, "against inner resistance and outer pressure, the DIP estimates
that only open, shared, free and collaborative media, images and technologi=
es
allow to relief the difficulties that are posed to the school in the era of
the digital age." (same page)

Doesn't this guide have to be translated into the other official languages
of Switzerland? I think it contains very good material.

Best wishes
Michael

[0] http://fsfe.org/projects/education/eduteam.html
[1] http://icp.ge.ch/sem/projets/spip.php?article540