edu-eu

Re: [edu-eu] Schools and FS interactive w/b project

From: Guido Arnold
Subject: Re: [edu-eu] Schools and FS interactive w/b project
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 19:22:36 +0100

Hello Sam,

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 11:42:22AM +0100, Sam Tuke wrote:
> On Friday 26 November 2010 18:01:12 address@hidden wrote:
>
> This is an idea, rather than an experience: introducing schools to this
> project:
>
> http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php/kmando+human+computer+interface?content=47105

Interesting. I'll ask some teachers in Germany if they have already
tested it.

> Basically its a cheap, software driven solution to the need for interactive
> whiteboards. It needs only a low grade webcam, a projector screen, and a low
> spec computer (all three things many schools already have). In the UK at
> least, from what I've read spending on proprietary, hardware based
> interactive
> whiteboards is staggering, and many schools both need and can't afford them.
>
> I don't know how well this software works, but it seems to me to have
> significant potential, and if its good enough to roll out in classrooms then
> it could provide a good opportunity for FS advocates to visit schools, demo
> it, talk about FS, etc..

Sounds good to me. Are there any FS advocates here who are interested in doing
so?

A similar idea with programming robots is just getting momentum:
http://blogs.fsfe.org/guido/2010/12/freedroidz-workshop-with-tarent/

But the whiteboard approach doesn't need the expensive robots and the
presentation needs probably much less time.

> Just an idea!

Thanks for it! I'll pursue it further.

Greetings,

Guido