edu-eu

Re: New to the group

From: Bruno Coudoin
Subject: Re: New to the group
Date: 09 Apr 2002 19:10:18 +0200

About my experience on gcompris, teachers are easy to convince that they
should teach free software but it is hard for them to go further
because:
- they don't have enough technical expertice to force the windows admin
out there to install a dual boot
- the windows admin refuses to install it
- they need to convince other teachers but they don't have the
information we have to convince them.

So as about material, documenting our software is great but we need also
to help teacher come to us easily.

Perhaps, we could create a specific little book dedicated to the
education market that would contains explaination on why free software
in school is mandatory and a description of a list of free software and
in what they can be used for (or what can they replace) and why not a CD
like demo linux with that (or a full distrib).

My analysis is that we arrive to lobby the top level management, but at
least in france, shool computers are not centralized and the changement
won't necessarily come from the top.
On the other side it is good because local initiative have been possible
but now how can we deploy and generalize the linux pilot schools. For
example, in my town Blagnac in france, the school IT depends to the town
hall, and the guy in place refuses to hear the work Linux. The teachers
are locked, he refuses to suport them if they make any change to the
computer.

Well, I believe our software is good enough often much better than
proprietary ones but we lack the marketing staff to promote, install and
support it.

Bruno.