edu-eu

Re: What do we have ?

From: Frank Heckenbach
Subject: Re: What do we have ?
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 03:09:11 +0200

Georg C. F. Greve wrote:

> Maybe it would be a good idea if all the initiatives/people on this
> list would start with a short introductions about them so we know
> who's here?

A few words about me ...

My main occupations, writing my PhD thesis and hacking free software
(mostly GPC) for a living, are not related to education, but
together with some friends I'm doing a summer academy for
gifted/motivated pupils, see http://www.ferak.g-n-u.de (the web
pages are in German laguage; only the top page is available in
English and Dutch as well). Though most of the others are not really
aware of the issues around free software, I try to convice them
(slowly ...) and use only free software for the tasks I'm concerned
with.

I've looked at OFSET and other places and found some interesting
things that I'll probably use in the classes. Of course, I have
released/will release as free software what I write for the academy
-- so far mostly for the creation and administration of the web
site, mailing list archives, etc., but I'll probably also write a
few things for the classes.

I'll also try to convince the pupils to release the results of their
project work as free software -- maybe there some potential hackers
among them (-: though CS is only one of several subjects in the
academy, so most of them will probably have their special itnerestst
in other areas).

So, that's my relation to education. I'm not involved with schools,
but I'm interested to see what's going on in this field.

Frank

--
Frank Heckenbach, address@hidden
http://fjf.gnu.de/