dvipng

[Dvipng] DVIPNG segfault on DVI output of simple TEX file?

From: Shriramana Sharma
Subject: [Dvipng] DVIPNG segfault on DVI output of simple TEX file?
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 10:40:38 +0530

Hello. The last post on this list was from last year but I hope people
are still around:

I'm running Kubuntu Raring, with versions as below:
texlive-base: 2012.20120611-5
dvipng: 1.14-1build1

I have this simple document foo.tex:

\documentclass[16pt]{article}
\usepackage{amsmath,amssymb}
\usepackage{breqn}
\pagestyle{empty}
\begin{document}
$ \infty $
\end{document}

I do latex foo.tex and I get the .dvi files with no problems. Then I do:

dvipng -T tight -D 150 -bg Transparent -fg Blue -O 0cm,0cm foo.png foo.dvi

I get this:

This is dvipng 1.14 Copyright 2002-2010 Jan-Ake Larsson
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

gdb says there are no debugging symbols so I couldn't try that.

Due to this dvipng problem I am not able to use SymPyPrt on
IPython2/3: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/sympy/WzwS3578TuU/sZAYDcFQ8cIJ

I did not have a problem with using SymPyPrt on Kubuntu Precise of
last year, and dvipng has practically not changed in Raring since
Precise:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=dvipng&searchon=names&suite=all&section=all
except for a new build. The changelog
http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changelogs/pool/main/d/dvipng/dvipng_1.14-1build1/changelog
says it's for some kpathsea transition but I'm not sure whether that
would be the cause of the problem.

I hope Jan or someone else can help me. Thank you!

--
Shriramana Sharma ஶ்ரீரமணஶர்மா श्रीरमणशर्मा