dvipng

Re: [Dvipng] does dvipng include the dpi information in its output?

From: jfbu
Subject: Re: [Dvipng] does dvipng include the dpi information in its output?
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2012 15:12:10 +0200

le 15/10/2012 08:56 selon jfbu:
> In fact these images
> were also at 96dpi but that information is either not in the file
> or not understood by Preview.

just for the sake of precision, now that I re-look more precisely
at these images
were produced by dvipng at rather something like 100dpi, not 96dpi

(498 pixels in width for some tight image of text produced with
 \usepackage[hscale=0.6,a4paper]{geometry} so that the actual
width is circa 12,6cm. 498 pixels =12,6cm iff 100,4 pixels =1 in,
and I checked with images as displayed in firefox, physically
measuring their sizes and comparing to their number of pixels
with due account of the screen resolution)

and about an app querying the system

1) on my macbook air, Acrobat says that the system resolution is at 133dpi
whereas it is more like 135,5 dpi [confirmed with actually measuring on
the screen that a a4 page has truly 21cm of width]

2) on a Dell ultrasharp display at my office on a Fedora 13 linux,
Acrobat says that the system resolution is at 97dpi whereas physically
measuring it I obtain 86dpi [and again this is then confirmed by
displaying at its natural size an a4 page in Acrobat, and also I
checked on images displayed in firefox]

best wishes
Jean-François