dvipng

Re: [Dvipng] tikz support in the future?

From: Jan-Åke Larsson
Subject: Re: [Dvipng] tikz support in the future?
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 10:19:48 +0100

Tim Arnold skrev 11/10/2010 03:49 PM:
> I just found out the hard way that tikzpictures cannot be rendered using
> dvipng.
>
> I get this message, many many times:
> <literal PSdvipng warning: PostScript environment contains DVI commands
> dvipng warning: PostScript environment contains DVI commands >

Correct, this message was actually introduced to detect when tikz
commands are likely to fail.

> My guess is that this isn't easy to support. My question is if it's
> *possible* for dvipng to handle the situation or should I ditch the use of
> tikzpicture?

Possible, yes. But that would require a PostScript interpreter which is
internal to dvipng, rather than throwing PostScript code at GhostScript
as is the case today. The problem is keeping track of where the pen is
after returning from PostScript rendering. In general also if the
coordinate system is rotated.

This will not happen soon, and probably not at all, especially since I
don't have the needed time.

/JÅ