dvipng

Re: [Dvipng] Static/dynamic library for dvipng?

From: Jan-Åke Larsson
Subject: Re: [Dvipng] Static/dynamic library for dvipng?
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 19:53:27 +0200

Alex skrev:
I am however curious as to how preview-latex manages to accomplish the
task of on-the-fly LaTeX rendering. Since my overall goal is to create
an on-the-fly TeX renderer to integrate into a .NET/C# application, I
would probably want to mimic much of the approach. Unfortunately, there
seems to be minimal information on the workings of preview-latex, and I
suspect the only way to figure out exactly what goes on will be to dig
through the source. If you could however describe the approach in brief,
or point me to a resource, it would be much appreciated.

The preview-latex package is based on preview.sty, a package which takes out snippets like equations and other things and produces a DVI with just these, one on each page. dvipng is then used to render all these pages in a batch, and this saves much of the overhead you mentioned. One run of latex/dvipng for each time the images are to be updated.

preview.sty has a manual, I dont remember how it is accessed just now, but 'texdoc preview' should do the trick. Ask again if you need more help.

/JÅ