dvdrtools-users

[Dvdrtools-users] Re: Toshiba 16x DVD RW

From: Bryan J. Smith
Subject: [Dvdrtools-users] Re: Toshiba 16x DVD RW
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 01:12:19 -0500

On Thu, 2005-08-18 at 22:45 -0700, David Busby wrote:
> List,
>    I'm looking into getting some DVD burning going on, saw from history on
> this list that things like Sony/Phillips
> won't work like I want/have issues.  What about Toshiba?  I'm thinking this
> one:
> http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4409796.  All I want to do is burn data DVDs
> (by Linux FS) and ensure that I can 100%
> get it back (or 99.999%).  So for that I understand I should use UDF?
> Thoughts for me?  Toshiba + UDF + dvdrecord,
> other options?  I don't have any hardware yet, I'd like to have a solid plan
> first.  Thanks.

Toshiba's vary.  They started out at the DVD-RAM/R end, then have OEM'd
several models so you just don't know.

BTW, for $20 cheaper (let alone no rebates), ya just can't beat the LG
GSA-4163 for $43.99:
  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827136046

Or $47.99 if you want it in black:
  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827136047

And guess what?  NewEgg has a special on the _retail_box_ this week for
$42.99:  ;->
  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827136047

This drive is a 16x/6x DVD-R/RW base with native 5x DVD-RAM support,
along with full 16x/8x DVD+R/+RW support, including 4x dual-layer DVD+R.

Now what does that all mean?

Because of it's DVD-R/RW based, it works with the CDRTools line.
[ DVD-R is most universally compatible when you use disc-at-once, DaO ]

Because of its native DVD-RAM support, that's also in the kernel.
[ If you're into optical archiving, which is what DVD-RAM is for. ]

And because of the DVD+R/+RW support, DVD+RW-Tools works there too.
[ Which is what most people use because they are designed for data ]

AnandTech found it the fastest at 16x DVD-R _and_ 16x DVD+R, with fairly
low error rates (with exception of one media brand he liked).

-- Bryan

P.S.  It looks like the LG GSA-4165 is also around the corner.  Saw it
mentioned one place, but didn't see specifications.

--
Bryan J. Smith     address@hidden     http://thebs413.blogspot.com