dvdrtools-users

Re: [Dvdrtools-users] Backup of a partition with compression

From: Derrell . Lipman
Subject: Re: [Dvdrtools-users] Backup of a partition with compression
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 09:19:27 -0400

"Ekkehard Kraemer" <address@hidden> writes:

> Can I use growisofs to supply my own stream of data without an ISO FS being
> created?

The -Z option can take a special x=y parameter which means write y (any
arbitrary pre-mastered image) to device x.  You may be able to use standard
input as y like this:

  gzip -c /dev/hdaX | growisofs -Z /dev/dvd=/dev/stdin

I suspect it may fail due to being unable to determine the size of the input
stream.  It's worth a try, though.

Derrell