dvdrtools-devel

[Dvd-devel] DVD-R and DVD-R/W recording

From: Konstantin Koll
Subject: [Dvd-devel] DVD-R and DVD-R/W recording
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 09:26:36 +0200

Dear list members,

I've just subscribed to the dvdrtools-developers list because I have a problem with DVD recording. I write my own operating system which already includes a burning software (see http://www.deskwork.de/FOTOS/BRENNEN.HTM for screenshot; it's in German). It can record CD-Rs and CD-R/Ws in TAO mode and works just fine.

Now, I'm up to extending it to DVD recording, but can't get it to work. What it can do now: - Determine the DVD type inserted (-R, -R/W, +R, +R/W, -RAM and their properties)
- Blank a DVD-R/W
- DVD-RAM can be mounted like a harddisk and works just fine

What I'd like to have:
- Record pure ISO data DVD-Rs and DVD-R/Ws
- Ignore DVD+R and DVD+R/W since they don't are organized as sectors, not as a single track

Since a CD-R/W is just the same as a blankable CD-R (that is, from a programmer's point of view - physical disc layout differs), I use a DVD-R/W for testing to save money on destroyed DVD-Rs. I use the following command sequence on my LG GSA-4167B:

- Set speed
- Set write parameters (use write mode 2, which is DAO with DVDs)
- Reserve track (i.e. 50000 sectos or whatever the ISO file size is)
- Get next writeable address (I get LBA 0 all the time which looks ok)

Now, sending data for LBA 0 fails. A sanity "close track/session" command takes some time to "finish" the DVD-R/W, and after that it has the space occupied, but without any readable data. The -R/W is closed and can be blanked.

Where's my mistake? Thanks for helping me out, all answers are appreciated!

Yours,
Konstantin Koll