Re: [Duplicity-talk] Failures on backup jobs from cron

From: Scott Hannahs
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Failures on backup jobs from cron
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 15:48:24 -0500

You may need to set the PYTHONPATH variable when running from Cron or other non-shell systems.
https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/pythonpath-environment-variable-in-python/

-Scott

On Feb 27, 2023, at 14:37, Russell Clemings via Duplicity-talk <duplicity-talk@nongnu.org> wrote:

I've got a curious problem suddenly with duplicity on two of more four servers.

If I run a backup job as root, everything works fine. If it runs from the root cron, I get this:

First server:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/xxxx/duplicity-0.8.12.1612/bin/duplicity", line 30, in <module>
    from future import standard_library
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'future'

Second server:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/xxxx/duplicity-0.8.12.1612/bin/duplicity", line 39, in <module>
    import fasteners
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'fasteners'

Both modules are installed, and as I said, the backups run fine from the command line. Also, it works fine from cron on two other servers. (And I realize my duplicity is a few versions behind; updating is on my to-do list.)

Any pointers to help locate the problem are appreciated.