Re: [Duplicity-talk] Does Duplicity play nice with SQL databases?

From: chaskary
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Does Duplicity play nice with SQL databases?
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2023 13:39:57 -0600

On 2023-02-09 04:40, edgar.soldin--- via Duplicity-talk wrote:
hey Chaskary,

On 09.02.2023 01:25, chaskary--- via Duplicity-talk wrote:
My understanding is SQL database programs like PostGres do maintenance on the database file that would make duplicity's differential backup scheme not happy. I can't find trustworthy information for or against this idea of mine on the internet.

not sure what you mean here

1. backup snapshots/exports, not data files of running db instances

imagine databases like journaled file systems. the written state at any given time may be inconsistent, but they protect themselves by using transactions, so that incomplete transactions may be rolled back. to avoid backing up the inconsistent state you usually either stop the db or backup db exports.

2. db data files, like tables

surely they are not only appended, so using rsync's rolling block algorithm might be not (as) effective in case. never researched that area myself. at a quick glance i found
https://dba.stackexchange.com/questions/91287/is-possible-to-backup-database-online-using-rsync
https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/1ehhqj/syncing_oracle_database_files_with_rsync/
with general regard to backup live dbs.
still i would suggest to backup (sql) exports, rather then raw db data files.

good luck.. ede/duply.net