Re: [Duplicity-talk] .Cache & duplicity collection-status

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] .Cache & duplicity collection-status
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 12:31:41 +0200

On 12.07.2021 10:33, Сергей Цаболов via Duplicity-talk wrote:
> Hello to all.
>
> I have one question.
>
> I setup duplicity and is work very well .
>
> I setup the cron job for backup  incremental with command :
>
> duplicity incremental --no-encryption  --exclude=/run --exclude=/proc
> --exclude=/sys --exclude=/dev --exclude=/proc --exclude=/sys --exclude=/mnt
> --exclude=/media --exclude=/tmp --exclude=/var/spool --exclude=/var/cache
> --exclude=/var/tmp --exclude=/swap.img / file:///srv/duplicity/
>
> I run is by root user.
>
> In /root/.cache/duplicity  is collect some files very big and my
> root-file-system (/) is full 100%

that's the archive dir and needed for duplicity to work. man page [1] says
"
To save bandwidth, duplicity generates full signature sets and incremental
signature sets. A full signature set is generated for each full backup, and an
incremental one for each incremental backup. These start with
duplicity-full-signatures and duplicity-new-signatures respectively. These
signatures will be stored both locally and remotely. The remote signatures will
be encrypted if encryption is enabled. The local signatures will not be
encrypted and stored in the archive dir (see --archive-dir ).
"

be aware that the mentioned argument above allows you to place the archive dir
anywhere in case you run into space issues like you did.

1. what are the sizes of your partitions? maybe provide the output of 'df -h'

2. what's the size of your backup, how many files?

> Before I delete it, the command  duplicity collection-status
> file:///srv/duplicity/ give Num volumes  duplicity-inc .
>
> After I delete the biggest  files from .cache the info about  Num volumes
> duplicity-inc not show again only  the Full Num volumes

you are not supposed to manually edit that folder, although duplicity should
survive and recreate missing data on the next run

> How I can change the backup command to not collect sow big .cache files,
> because if I run the duplicity cleanup --extra-clean --force $target  the
> info about Num volumes of full and inc backups I will have ?

you can't change the size per se. if you have really big files to back up
consider raising max-blocksize to lower the size of your sigtar files
"
--max-blocksize number
determines the number of the blocks examined for changes during the diff
process. For files < 1MB the blocksize is a constant of 512. For files over 1MB
the size is given by:
file_blocksize = int((file_len / (2000 * 512)) * 512)
return min(file_blocksize, config.max_blocksize)
where config.max_blocksize defaults to 2048. If you specify a larger
max_blocksize, your difftar files will be larger, but your sigtar files will be
smaller. If you specify a smaller max_blocksize, the reverse occurs. The
--max-blocksize option should be in multiples of 512.
"
from the man page [1]

good luck.. ede/duply.net

[1] duplicity man page http://duplicity.nongnu.org/vers8/duplicity.1.html