Re: [Duplicity-talk] a question on duplicity and gpg

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] a question on duplicity and gpg
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2020 11:32:24 +0100

hey Giuliano,

On 11/20/2020 9:36, Giuliano Franchetti via Duplicity-talk wrote:
> Hello to all,
>
> after installing duplicity I find a new behaviour of gpg.

which duplicity, gpg versions?

that's not exactly caused by duplicity. gpg2 uses gpg-agent by default for all
password related stuff. duplicity enables '--pinentry-mode=loopback' for it's
gpg calls to prevent that.

you can research gpg documentation to find out how to disable gpg-agent or set
a very short password caching time (ttl).

> I have in my computer several files that I have gpg-encrypted and for
> accessing them
> I had to give a passphrase.
>
> After installing duplicity suddenly to access the files gpg encrypted it is
> not
> necessary a passphrase anymore. It seems that duplicity activate a gpg-agent
> that
> read the passphrase to automatize duplicity. At the moment I use duplicity
> with
> symmetric encryption because I save a backup in a disk in my home.
>
> This behaviour of gpg  makes all the files I had unsafe as anybody entering
> in my computer
> can open any gpg encrypted file. Is it possible to use duplicity, but not
> having this effect?

you shouldn't leave your system unlocked then :). but yeah, obviously not what
you intended.

it's possible that you have a special combination of duplicity/gpg2 installed
that does not disable gpg-agent properly, but i need to know which versions you
are running.
it's also possible that gpg-agent is running from your manual gpg calls because
written that's the new default gpg2 behaviour.