Re: [Duplicity-talk] Fwd: Re: Restoring from/to a USB stick

From: Nate Eldredge
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Fwd: Re: Restoring from/to a USB stick
Date: Tue, 12 May 2020 09:46:13 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 12 May 2020, Andrew Wood wrote:

If I run

duplicity list-current-files
file:///run/media/awood/MyPassport/Deja-Vu-Back-up > /run/media/awood/MyPassport/USB-Restore/dup-log.txt

which has no --time parameter, and I try and find an entry for the USB volume '7160-75C1' then there's no reference other than a couple of status file - like this one:

home/awood/.local/share/gvfs-metadata/uuid-7160-75C1-e7c29a79.log

When you omit --time from either a restore or list-current-files command, you get the contents of the most recent backup of the set (full or incremental). I thought you'd already established that the files you want were not present for the most recent backup, so this doesn't seem to tell us anything new.

I also tried this is the --time "03-27-2020" instead and there's the same result - no other reference to the USB than that above.

The reason that I think that the USB was actually backed-up is that if I look in some of the more recent manifest files then I can see delete operations on files in the USB volume '7160-75C1'. So, I conclude that there was - at some point a full back-up of the volume, and then subsequent operations on the files on the volume are being recorded ie changelog. I also know that in March/April the USB stick was mounted and that the locations to back-up in Deja-Vu were both /home/andrew and also the USB volume. So, the question is - how can I retrieve that full backup and specifically the USB?

I guess I don't know how Deja-Vu structures its backups. I think the most complete advice I can suggest is:

- Use 'duplicity collection-status file://...' to make a list of all date when backups that took place.

- For each date that seems relevant, use 'duplicity list-current-files --time=... file://...", with a date/time slightly later than what's listed for the backup in question.

- Search each resulting list for the files you want. It's probably more useful to search for the name of a particular file, rather than the directory where you think it was located, in case it was not what you thought.

For example, if I try something like this as was suggested:

duplicity --file-to-restoreĀ  /run/media/awood/7160-75C1/ file:///run/media/awood/MyPassport/Deja-Vu-Back-up /run/media/awood/MyPassport/USB-Restore-7160-75C1

This man entry for duplicity (https://linux.die.net/man/1/duplicity) suggests --file-to-restore takes a folder name. If I specify the root for the folder then that should work, shouldn't it? Hence the '/' on the volume name for the USB.

It takes a folder name, yes, but *relative* to the base point of the backup. So for instance, if you originally ran "duplicity full /foo/bar" and there was a folder called /foo/bar/baz/blah, then in order to restore it you would need to use "--file-to-restore baz/blah". If the base point was / then you'd use "--file-to-restore foo/bar/baz/blah" (without an initial /).

I don't know what Deja-Vu uses as its base point, which is why I suggest looking for a file name instead of a directory.

--
Nate Eldredge