Re: [Duplicity-talk] Fwd: Re: Restoring from/to a USB stick

From: Andrew Wood
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Fwd: Re: Restoring from/to a USB stick
Date: Tue, 12 May 2020 10:37:10 +0100

Hi Nate/ everyone,

Thanks for your further suggestions and advice.

If I run

>duplicity list-current-files file:///run/media/awood/MyPassport/Deja-Vu-Back-up > /run/media/awood/MyPassport/USB-Restore/dup-log.txt

which has no --time parameter, and I try and find an entry for the USB volume '7160-75C1' then there's no reference other than a couple of status file - like this one:

home/awood/.local/share/gvfs-metadata/uuid-7160-75C1-e7c29a79.log

I also tried this is the --time "03-27-2020" instead and there's the same result - no other reference to the USB than that above.

The reason that I think that the USB was actually backed-up is that if I look in some of the more recent manifest files then I can see delete operations on files in the USB volume '7160-75C1'. So, I conclude that there was - at some point a full back-up of the volume, and then subsequent operations on the files on the volume are being recorded ie changelog. I also know that in March/April the USB stick was mounted and that the locations to back-up in Deja-Vu were both /home/andrew and also the USB volume. So, the question is - how can I retrieve that full backup and specifically the USB?

For example, if I try something like this as was suggested:

duplicity --file-to-restore  /run/media/awood/7160-75C1/ file:///run/media/awood/MyPassport/Deja-Vu-Back-up /run/media/awood/MyPassport/USB-Restore-7160-75C1

This man entry for duplicity (https://linux.die.net/man/1/duplicity) suggests --file-to-restore takes a folder name. If I specify the root for the folder then that should work, shouldn't it? Hence the '/' on the volume name for the USB.

Best wishes,

Andrew