Re: [Duplicity-talk] duplicity with scp backend succeeds, but creates no

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] duplicity with scp backend succeeds, but creates no backup
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2019 01:10:40 +0200

On 12.10.2019 16:55, atharva larisa via Duplicity-talk wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 11, 2019, at 12:28 AM, Nate Eldredge wrote:
>>

>> On Thu, 10 Oct 2019, atharva larisa via Duplicity-talk wrote:
>>
>>> duplicity -v9 --hidden-encrypt-key address@hidden s
>>> scp://192.168.1.98:/tmp/tRD3
>>
>> This puts the backup in tmp/rRD3 relative to your home directory on
>> 192.168.1.98. So you should see a directory called tmp in your home
>> directory that contains your backup.
>>
>> If you want an absolute path, to put the backups in /tmp, add an extra
>> slash:
>>
>> scp://192.168.1.98://tmp/tRD3
>>
>> Also, the : after the hostname is unnecessary, so you can just write
>>
>> scp://192.168.1.98//tmp/tRD3
>>
>> --
>> Nate Eldredge
>> address@hidden
>>

> Thanks a lot Nate. Though is there a reason for such a rebellion against
> convention ?
probably. note that targets are given as urls, not in the scp syntax which you
seem to imply. there is no convention to define absolute paths in urls so the
original author seems to have gotten creative ;)

> Even in the man page, in the initial examples section this extremely
> surprising behaviour does not seem to be emphasized - e.g.
>
> ==================
> duplicity /home/me sftp://address@hidden/some_dir
> ==================

the example backs up to your home folder. it's an example not a syntax
explanation.

> we could have mentioned that this some_dir would be relative to the home of
> uid in spite of starting with a / ?

it's explained in the man page section 'URL Format'
  http://duplicity.nongnu.org/vers8/duplicity.1.html#sect7

if you feel the man page could be more explanatory feel free to point out where
and what text you'd suggest to be added or changed or even better post a merge
request on launchpad.

have fun ..ede/duply.net