[Duplicity-talk] Help adorning strings for Python 3

From: Aaron
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Help adorning strings for Python 3
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2018 22:31:32 +0100

Hello all,

I would really appreciate help with adorning strings (with u/b):
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/duplicity/+spec/adorn-string-literals
in support of our high-priority effort to make the code base python 2/3 compatible:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/duplicity/+spec/python3

I have described the process in quite some detail in the blueprint above, have created a script to help locate what needs to change and have created code tests to ensure any files that are fixed do not slip backwards. Following the suggested process means that each file can be merged back into trunk as soon as the strings in it are adorned and we can break a big job into many tiny chunks.

I have also started converting the strings in files one by one. It is mostly very straightforward, but it is the big blocker to using largely automated tools to help futurize our code and gain Python 3 support.

Wherever possible, we want to end up with Unicode strings instead of bytes, which may need a few slightly more substantive changes along the way. Helper variables/functions have already been created in duplicity to assist with this (see blueprints).

(Yes, I know that adorned strings look ugly. We only plan to support Python 2 and 3 in parallel for a single series, then switch to Python 3-only, when we can automatically remove all the ' u" 's.)

I am hoping that many hands will make light work.

Many thanks,

Aaron