Re: [Duplicity-talk] Recover backup after using PhotoRec

From: Scott Hannahs
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Recover backup after using PhotoRec
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 18:14:48 -0500

“file" should recognize the secure rings.

% file *
S.gpg-agent:       socket
gpg-agent.conf:    ASCII text
gpg.conf:          ASCII English text
private-keys-v1.d: directory
pubring.gpg:       data
pubring.gpg~:      data
secring.gpg:       PGP key security ring
trustdb.gpg:       GPG key trust database version 3

You can try using a random file listed as data for the secure ring.  Looking
for files that have your email (gpg id) in clear text will help find them.  I
tend to think if the “file” command can’t recognize it, then the file is not
the secure ring or it is corrupted.  You can try various files and see if you
can run any GPG utility.

-Scott

> On Nov 18, 2014, at 5:56 PM, Thiago Coutinho <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Hi Scott.
>
> The repository and a copy of my home was corrupted, that's why I think these
> files maybe are the gnupg keys.
>
> address@hidden:~/PhotoRec.by_ext/gpg$ file *
> f152191232.gpg: GPG symmetrically encrypted data (CAST5 cipher)
> f201344080.gpg: DOS executable (COM)
> f213958976.gpg: DOS executable (COM)
> f222325680.gpg: DOS executable (COM)
> f226545616.gpg: DOS executable (COM)
> f230699744.gpg: DOS executable (COM)
> f234934992.gpg: DOS executable (COM)
> f239089168.gpg: DOS executable (COM)
> f239140464.gpg: DOS executable (COM)
> f243320768.gpg: DOS executable (COM)
> f272680000.gpg: DOS executable (COM)
> f289434688.gpg: DOS executable (COM)
> f301362240.gpg: GPG symmetrically encrypted data (CAST5 cipher)
> f511707136.gpg: GPG symmetrically encrypted data (CAST5 cipher)
> f765916320.gpg: GPG key public ring
> f766393168.gpg: GPG key public ring
> f780998544.gpg: GPG key public ring
> f781001568.gpg: GPG key public ring
> f917996144.gpg: data
> f917996208.gpg: data
> f917996224.gpg: data
> f966395616.gpg: data
> f966395632.gpg: data
>
> What I have to do? Copy one of "GPG key public ring" file to
> ~/.gnupg/pubring.gpg, another to ~/.gnupg/secring.gpg and try to decrypt some
> file? I'm stuck in this.

> Thiago,
>
> Why would you think that?  Just because they are small?  I am assuming the
> photo-recovery program is minimally smart in that it attempted to find a file
> type and then assign an extension.  The extensions are all .gpg which means
> that the magic number in the file indicates that it is a gpg encrypted file.
> Not a gpg key ring file.  As Kai said, you can check with the “file” command
> but my guess is that your photo recovery program did exactly that.
>
> The program is trying to tell you that all those files *gpg* encrypted.  If
> you are sure that those are the key files, rename them and put them in the
> .gnupg folder and use them.
>
> IIRC it was the depository that was corrupted?  That doesn’t have unencrypted
> key files in it.
>
> -Scott
>

>> On Nov 18, 2014, at 3:34 PM, Thiago Coutinho <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Scott.
>>
>> I know that without the gnupg keys I can't recover the files, but what I
>> trying to explain is that my gnupg keys are on these gpg files I have, but I
>> don't know how to handle them.
>>
>> Look, I think these smaller gpg files are my keys:
>>
>>> 32K    f766393168.gpg
>>> 16K    f780998544.gpg
>>> 24K    f781001568.gpg
>>> 32K    f917996144.gpg