Re: [Duplicity-talk] Recover backup after using PhotoRec

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Recover backup after using PhotoRec
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2014 12:47:55 +0100

try to determine how valuable the data in the backup is for you. from there
decide if it might be worth money to have experts restore your files. if not do
you have the time to spare to learn how it is done.

a format not necessarily destroys an existing filesystem completely. it depends
on the format routine which is different for each filesystem and formatter.
usually a quick format just writes some structures here and there but leaves
the rest of the sectors alone.

PhotoRec results often are fragments of the files because (taken from photorec
website)
"
PhotoRec searches for known file headers. If there is no data fragmentation,
which is often the case, it can recover the whole file.
"

so if your drive was full before it is very unlikely that the photorec results
are proper. you can probably already see it if the volume sizes are not nearly
even sized.

from here on you can try manual restoration
 http://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/DejaDup/Help/Restore/WorstCase#Restoring_by_Hand
with the very big disadvantage that you do not know the order of your volumes.
so if a file spanned more than one volume you'll have to find out in which.

good luck .. ede

PS: the big advantage of duplicity is that it encrypts safely, so why not put a
mirror of backup repository on an ftp, in the cloud etc. next time?