Re: [Duplicity-talk] is a duplicity folder rsync-friendly?

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] is a duplicity folder rsync-friendly?
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 16:05:09 +0200

On 12.08.2013 15:53, Martin Erik Werner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having problems using duplicity with a cifs mount, when I try to
> make a backup to cifs it crashes with "CIFS VFS: No writable handles for
> inode", I'm seeing similar issues when I try to "git push --mirror" onto
> the mount as well.
>
> However, straight up copying seems to work ok, hence I'm wondering if it
> is feasible to create the duplicity archive locally and then rsync it
> over to the cifs mount. Provided I don't make any full backups, is the
> duplicity on-disk structure in itself incremental? Such that this method
> would work and be as space-efficient as running duplicity directly to
> the dir?
>
>   $ cp -r /mnt/cifs/duplicity ~/duplicity
>   $ duplicity ~/important/ file://duplicity
>   $ rsync -a duplicity/ file:///mnt/cifs/duplicity

that'll work. why shouldn't it? duplicity simply creates new files in the
backup repository on each incremental. simply have a look at the folder. it has
files neatly numbered with timestamps.

but maybe you rather solve the problem, maybe it is this
http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1210.2/03971.html ?
you could try switching kernel or userland binaries, depending on what way to
mount cifs you use.