Re: [Duplicity-talk] very frequent backups

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] very frequent backups
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 15:51:10 +0100

On 11.02.2013 20:00, Adam Gold wrote:
> I'm planning on using duplicity to do a frequent number of regular backups,
> perhaps every 15 minutes.  The base amount of data is appx 10GB, it's hard
> to predict the rate of growth.  Obviously this will generate a lot of diff
> files even if I do full backups at regular intervals.  My question is: am I
> using the application in a way that it is not ideally intended for?

yes

> appreciate that the more diff files there are, the greater the chance that
> one of them is corrupted thus messing up the whole chain.

correct

>My question is
> over and above that risk is there anything else I should be aware of?

you would have to make sure that only /one/ instance of duplicity is running
adding data to the repository. that's crucial! incomplete chains are simply
ignored, so you could end up with incrementals basing themselves on the wrong
i could imagine it'd take longer to process 10GB if your system is under load.

you should probably research other ways to backup encrypted that frequently.

i would suggest you to find a way to
A) generate local diffs
B) encrypt & upload these in a second step