[Duplicity-talk] "zlib inflate problem: invalid distance code" error for

From: Tim Edwards
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] "zlib inflate problem: invalid distance code" error for any operation
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 10:10:54 +0100

Hi,

I'm running duplicitly to create encrypted backups of important stuff in
my home directory. I recently switched distributions from Opensuse 12.1
to Ubuntu 11.10. Right before I re-installed I did a backup (so still on
Opensuse) and once I'd re-installed with Ubuntu I tried to do another
backup.

The problem is that now on Ubuntu matter what I do, whether it's a
backup, a restore or a simple list-current-files I get this error
message:
duplicity list-current-files file:///media/BACKUPHD/backups/duplicity/
Synchronising remote metadata to local cache...
GnuPG passphrase:
Copying duplicity-full-signatures.20111206T000007Z.sigtar.gpg to local
cache.
GPGError: GPG Failed, see log below:
===== Begin GnuPG log =====
gpg: CAST5 encrypted data
gpg: encrypted with 1 passphrase
gpg: Fatal: zlib inflate problem: invalid distance code
===== End GnuPG log =====

The backups are kept on a USB hard drive which was unplugged during the
re-installation and re-config, so weren't affected at all. I also have a
USB stick which has a slightly older version of the same backup set and
it gets the same error on Ubuntu.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? Is there some bizzare gpg
config option I need to set?

Thanks

Tim