Re: [Duplicity-talk] Backup problems 0.6.17

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Backup problems 0.6.17
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 18:09:47 +0100

On 10.01.2012 17:27, Ken Bass wrote:
> On 1/9/2012 10:32 AM, Ken Bass wrote:
>> So, can you tell me where in the code, a decision is made whether to backup
>> a file or not? I'm trying to figure out/debug why it would have backed all
>> my Desktop files up again when it should not have. Maybe there is a bug
>> under some scenario that I can help track down if someone can point me in
>> the correct direction.
>>
> Is there anyone familiar with the code that can point me in the right
> direction?
>
> Last night duplicity screwed up again. It re-backed up a bunch of files that
> did not change wasting bandwidth and money.
>
> Because this happened in the past, I modified my backup cron job to do a full
> 'cp -a' of the directory each night (as well as the archive-dir).
> I just did a 'diff -r' on the two directory and there were barely any
> changes, yet duplicity re-backed it up. I checked the timestamps of the files
> and they are the same.
>
> In the log it shows
>
> A Documents
> A Documents/605442
> A Documents/605442/605442.ZIP
>
> uploads stuff and then
>
> D Documents
> D Documents/605442
> D Documents/605442/605442.ZIP
>
> --------------[ Backup Statistics ]--------------
> StartTime 1326177011.19 (Tue Jan 10 01:30:11 2012)
> EndTime 1326178269.80 (Tue Jan 10 01:51:09 2012)
> ElapsedTime 1258.60 (20 minutes 58.60 seconds)
> SourceFiles 2077
> SourceFileSize 925336793 (882 MB)
> NewFiles 1193
> NewFileSize 568775192 (542 MB)
> DeletedFiles 1232
> ChangedFiles 2
> ChangedFileSize 3525 (3.44 KB)
> ChangedDeltaSize 0 (0 bytes)
> DeltaEntries 2427
> RawDeltaSize 568043509 (542 MB)
> TotalDestinationSizeChange 354069557 (338 MB)
> Errors 0
>
> Does 'D' mean deleted? If so, it appears that for each incremental backup,
> it is 'A' adding all the files and then in the final volume uploaded 'D'
> deleting them? So when then next night happens,
> it thinks everything was deleted, so it repeats the cycle.

can you send us the full output run with -v9 , obfuscate data that seems
sensitive to you in it. please post it to pastebin and send the link here.

also please restore the same file from two different backups of which you think
that it was uploaded although it was already backed up. restore as root so
permissions and times are restored as well. please compare atime,mtime,ctime
and report back.

ede/duply.net