Re: [Duplicity-talk] duplicity and partial rsync transfers

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] duplicity and partial rsync transfers
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 11:39:34 +0200

On 30.08.2011 05:18, Eliot Moss wrote:

> There is one thing I noticed that can perhaps be improved,
> though. If there is an interruption, then the interrupted
> volume transfer starts over from the beginning -- it does
> not use rsync's --partial / --partial-dir capability to
> use whatever was successfully transferred before the
> failure.  At least I am seeing such full retransmissions
> (but only of the incomplete volume).

this is because duplicity only uses librsync to detect the changes in the
source. the upload to the backend is handled similar to a standard remote
filesystem. there is no resume implemented.

> Note that, given the size of the source I am backing up,
> I have set volsize to 1Gb so as not to have an really
> large collection of files. (Is this unwise?) So it is
> painful to start a volume over when 800Mb has been uploaded.

as there is no volume resuming only chain resuming you might want to consider
to tune that down again

> I could not find a way to adjust the rsync flags used
> (perhaps good, since people might hang themselves easily
> that way), but wonder if --partial-dir would be a good
> enhancement, and fairly easy to add?

see above, ede/duply.net