[Duplicity-talk] installing duplicity on cygwin

From: Tom Roche
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] installing duplicity on cygwin
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2010 13:37:07 -0400

summary: seeking best instructions for installing duplicity on cygwin.

details:

I've been running duplicity for awhile from a couple of ubuntu boxes
(duplicity-0.5.18 on karmic, duplicity-0.6.08b on lucid) to an
external HD with apparently good results. Now I'd like to install it
on an winxp SP3 running cygwin. The xp box has run cygwin well for
years, and has been kept up-to-date (WRT both cygwin packages and
WUs).

http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/duplicity-talk/2009-08/msg00021.html
> I'd be happy to jot up a simple FAQ response for installing on
> cygwin, to avoid future redundant questions on this, if you think
> that would be of benefit (didn't find anything like that

The 2 most complete instructions for installing duplicity on cygwin
that I see are

1 http://jager.no/projects/windows/duplicity-on-windows

  3 years old, but after a quick scan I (not a duplicity expert!)
  don't see anything obviously wrong, except that

- librsync-0.9.7-1 can be gotten with cygwin package=librsync-devel
- no mention of boto
- no mention of ncftp (3.2.1-1 can be gotten with cygwin package=ncftp)

2 http://blog.khorun.com/2008/09/using-duplicity-on-windows-under-cygwin.html

  2 years old: it appears correct about

+ installing cygwin packages=librsync1, librsync-devel (though I
  suspect there is no longer a need to force install from snapshot)
+ installing boto

  but also

- admits using downlevel cygwin and duplicity
- no mention of ncftp (3.2.1-1 can be gotten with cygwin package=ncftp)

I'm leaning toward the khorun.com set. I'm wondering:

* are there better instructions for installing duplicity on cygwin?

* are there tips/tricks/gotchas about which one should be aware when
  installing duplicity on cygwin?

TIA, Tom Roche <address@hidden>