Re: [Duplicity-talk] Listing archive

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Listing archive
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2009 08:30:47 -0500

Data prior to the last full backup is not available for list or restore. The previous full backups are only kept as insurance against failure of the current full backup.

If you want to list/restore files from a previous backup, isolate that backup in a different directory and run against that directory.

This is actually working as it should.

...Ken

Darryl Moore wrote:
I've definitely confirmed this bahaviour.

I'm using Duplicity 0.6.04 from the Ubuntu Jaunty repository.

I had two sets of incremental backups previously which I could run the
following commands on:

duplicity list-current-files -t 2009-10-01T15:11:00
scp://address@hidden/ubn.local/el-grande

duplicity list-current-files -t 2009-10-01T15:11:01
scp://address@hidden/ubn.local/el-grande

(note the slight difference in time which correspond to separate
incremental backups) each command would return some of the file names
with different time stamps like so:

Thu Oct  1 15:17:46 2009
home/darryl/tuxit/scripts/scripts/install/backup_client

Thu Oct  1 16:10:58 2009
home/darryl/tuxit/scripts/scripts/install/backup_client

after running a full backup this morning, both commands then only return
the following

Fri Oct  2 08:14:47 2009
home/darryl/tuxit/scripts/scripts/install/backup_client

It would appear, at least with the 'list-current-files' command, that
data prior to the most recent full backup is inaccessible. I do not yet
know if this is also the case with the 'restore' command. I will have to
do some investigation to find out.

Has anybody else experienced this?

cheers,
darryl

Darryl Moore wrote:
Hello again,

Interestingly, I've found that the command below works when the time
specified falls between incremental backup times after the most recent
full backup.

It only appears to fail when I specify a time prior to the most recent
full backup.

cheers,
darryl

Darryl Moore wrote:
Hello Duplicity list,
Hello Duplicity list,

I have managed to get Duplicity working fairly well and am using
rsync.net to host my backups.

I am trying to write a few scripts to help maintain the backups.

I'd like to be able to list backups from various dates. I try commands like:
duplicity list-current-files -t 2009-10-01T09:32:40
--encrypt-key=4326E843 scp://address@hidden/ubn.local/el-grande

but no mater what date/time I use, I only ever get the most recent listing.

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong??

thanks,
darryl