Re: [Duplicity-talk] performance issue

From: Tony Coffman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] performance issue
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 14:04:41 -0400

I've been doing pretty much exactly the same thing since January on two CentOS5 boxes and my times have been very consistent the entire time. One server is on a 6.0/3.0 Mb/s DSL line and the other is in a colo on a congested 10MB/s port. I'm getting about 1.4GB/hour on the DSL and a little below 2GB/hour at the colo. These times don't include a verify run.

I'm using a North American bucket. I don't think Amazon has made any changes that affect duplicity - at least not that I've seen.

I usually see the socket error once or twice a week - I've tested full restores from those backups and haven't seen any problems so I don't think these are a problem - they just slow you down.

I hope this is useful info.

Regards,
--Tony

Chris Chatelain wrote:
I've been using duplicity to back up to amazon S3 for about 3 months. I'm backing up nearly an entire RHEL5 server, excluding a few things. It used to take 70 minutes or so, and suddenly one day it jumped to taking 4 or 5 hours. The size of the files has only gone up from 32GB to about 36. Is there a way to see which part is taking long (ie. is it the amazon interaction taking so long, or is it collecting the information on the files, or is it the taring that's taking so long)? Now that I look at the output and back in my logs, it looks like it catches a socket error 3 times each run. Any other ideas what the problem might be?