Re: [Duplicity-talk] [Fwd: thoughts about duplicity]

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] [Fwd: thoughts about duplicity]
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 12:10:29 -0500

Karol Szkudlarek wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I tried to use duplicity for my day to day backup system. And now I
> noticed 2 aspects:
>
> 1) it should be very helpful if all commands have abbreviations. For
> example commands:
> 'list-current-files' and 'collection-status' are very long and will be
> easier to use if 'list-current-files' have for example: 'list'
> abberviation, and for 'collection-status' simple: 'status' abbreviation.
> Or even: 'ls' and 'st' respectively.

The current getopt that duplicity uses allows that, as long as the
string is long enough to be unique, so:

--short works for --short-filenames,
--ver works for --version,
and so on...

That will work for part of your request.  The rest is just a matter of
defining aliases for long options.

> 2) command 'list-current-files' shows contents of archive, for example:
>
> Mon Aug 8 11:57:48 2005
> home/karol/.purple/logs/jabber/address@hidden/address@hidden/2005-08-08.105728.txt
> Mon Aug 8 12:04:28 2005
> home/karol/.purple/logs/jabber/address@hidden/address@hidden/2005-08-08.110330.txt
> Mon Aug 8 12:10:30 2005
> home/karol/.purple/logs/jabber/address@hidden/address@hidden/2005-08-08.110958.txt
>
> and in my opinion the path column (home/karol.purple/...) more natural
> should be printed with preceding
> slash: /home/karol/.purple. The same refers to "restore" command where
> if I want restore /home/karol path
> currently I should write:
>
> duplicity restore --file-to-restore home/karol
> scp://address@hidden/some_dir /home/karol/

This is the natural result of using a tar-based archive.  I need to
document the behavior for new users.

> This is my short feedback after several use of duplicity.

Thanks for taking the time.