Re: [Duplicity-talk] How it works document

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] How it works document
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 19:46:59 -0500

Richard L. Houston wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am pitching implementing Duplicity for client backup and I got "the"
> question. "can you give us a detailed explanation on how Duplicity works." I
> explained it as best I could but I think I had some holes. The client is not
> a technical group but they like detail.
>
> I was wondering if there was a some what detailed explanation of how
> Duplicity works? I looked at the script but I an not a programmer in any
> respect so I got lost pretty quick. The big question that came out of the
> above was: if a previous backup is found how does it know what file have
> changed.
>
> Sorry for asking for this info, I know you would all rather be doing
> something else but any help/explanation would be greatly appreciated.

A duplicity user sent me a link to a diagram of duplicity somewhere in
the debian or ubuntu networks, but for now I can't seem to find it.
I've been meaning to update the docs on the web site for a while, but a
couple of work deadlines have been in the way.

If you have specific questions about how it works, maybe I can address
them.  Its really not all that complicated.