[Duplicity-talk] --include and --exclude questions

From: Andrew Kohlsmith (lists)
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] --include and --exclude questions
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 18:08:10 -0400

Good morning,

I have a couple of questions about the examples on the man page.

duplicity --exclude /mnt --exclude /tmp --exclude /proc /
file:///usr/local/backup

Would that not cause duplicity to try and also back up the /usr/local/backup
directory (the directory it's placing its backup in) ?

--include ignorecase:’/usr/[a-z0-9]foo/*/**.py’
 would match a file like /usR/5fOO/hello/there/world.py. If it did match
anything, it would also match /usr. If there is no existing file that the
given pattern can be expanded into, the option will not match /usr.

Does this mean that all of /usr will be backed up if something matching the
include matches?  Or just enough of /usr to satisfy hitting what was matched?

I thought I understood the --include and --exclude stuff, but apparently that
is not the case.  :-)

I'm trying to back up a few directories under /mnt/data, but not all of them,
thus I'm not using --include /mnt/data and --excluding a dozen others.

duplicity
        --no-encrypt
        --include /etc
        --include /home
        --include /mnt/data/usrlocal/scripts
        --include /mnt/data/var/data
        --include /mnt/data/var/spool
        --include /mnt/data/var/www
        --exclude /mnt/data/var/www/site1
        --exclude /mnt/data/var/www/site2
        --exclude /mnt/data/var/data/duplicity
        --exclude '**'
        / file:///var/data/duplicity/root

But this quickly fills up my root, because it seems that site1 and site2's
areas are getting backed up... What am I missing?

-A.