Re: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity 0.4.9, OS X Leopard -- Amazon S3 & Caught

From: Dustin Brewer
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity 0.4.9, OS X Leopard -- Amazon S3 & Caught a socket error
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 10:27:49 -0800

[originally posted to boto-users, crossposted here for informational purposes]

To answer your question directly, yes, I did install Python via macports. When you run 'sudo port install duplicity' from a fresh install of macports, it will install Python 2.5.

Thanks for noting that you don't use macports. I wonder if it does have something to do with the way macports installs everything?
I've always installed my unix-ish software via macports -- it's always worked so well. But, maybe it is not installing things correctly.

Here is what I just tried:

    * Removed my macports /opt directory so that my macports-installed python, duplicity and libs were gone.
    * Installed Duplicity's python-library-dependencies via easy_install
    * Downloaded Duplicity, attempted to install it, and it failed compiling librsync
    * Download/compiled/installed librsync separately
    * Attempted to install Duplicity, and it worked.
    * -- Crossed my fingers --
    * I ran my s3 backup script and .... *it worked* HURRAY!

It should also be noted that if I reinstall duplicity via macports and run my backup with /opt/local/bin/duplicity  it will fails, while /usr/local/bin/duplicity continues to work just fine.

Here is where I reach my limit of what is happening. I can't determine if this is some kind of environmental variable problem, incorrectly installed library problem, something wrong with the way duplicity is compiled, or some kind of python problem?