Re: [Duplicity-talk] Host key authenticity could not be verified

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Host key authenticity could not be verified
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 06:19:03 -0500

Peter Schuller wrote:
>> Here is the output of running duplicity with the -v9 option:
>>
>> Reading globbing filelist /etc/duplicity_excludes.txt
>> Main action: inc
>> Running 'sftp  address@hidden' (attempt #1)
>> Timeout waiting for response
>> Running 'sftp  address@hidden' failed (attempt #1)
>> ^C
>
> Just to be clear, my interpretation is that the original host key
> problem was indeed due to a real known_hosts issue, with this second
> timeout issue just confusing things a bit. If someone believes there
> is still a host key problem detection problem in duplicity, say the
> word.

The patch he applied (also in RC2) should have printed out the text of
the prompts before the match.  From the printout above, no prompt is
coming out.  It is a timeout waiting for the long directory listing to
appear (18k entries), not a problem with known_hosts.

The original 'problem' with known_hosts was mine.  I did not want to
script the multiple paths dealing with known_hosts, so I punted and
turned off the use of known_hosts entirely.  Your solution to treat
known_hosts prompts as errors was the way it should have gone.